The Village of Pender was founded in 1885 by W.E. Peebles.
The Village was originally a part of Dakota County until the organization of Thurston County. Then it became the first town in the new county and still serves as the county seat, today.
Early entertainment in the Village came from theatrics and dances performed at the Opera House, horse racing, and a movie theater.
Now, fast forward over 135 years later and you may be surprised to find, the Opera House is still a staple to Pender's Main Street. Additionally, the movie theater has been transformed into a local variety store, offering clothing, home decor, children's toys, and so much more!
Our main street today continues to thrive just as it did over 125 years ago.
Today, village amenities include the community park and swimming pool, Blue Ox RV Park, Twin Creeks golf course, Pender Lanes bowling alley, a Community Center project adjacent to its Veteran's Park Memorial, which offers space for dances, receptions, and community held events, as well as and a sports complex currently under development.